When you're a college student studying photography, it's all about finding locations and finding models. Having connections is a big advantage - not to mention a car too! Unfortunately, this is the area I am not so lucky with. Last year for my minimalist photoshoot I had not just my model but my back up model cancel on me the night before the actual photoshoot. I was a first year living in residence and I barely knew anybody in either buildings. I gathered the courage to go floor to floor and knock on door to door asking anyone who'd be willing to model last minute who owned any traditional outfit that fit the culture criteria for the assignment. Almost 2 hours of searching and I bumped into two tall African guys with traditional African outfits. They were shy but a little convincing and I had two models in two unique outfits willing to model for a complete stranger. At the end of the day, I had a list full of contacts of people who may not have fit the assignment criteria (at the time), but were still interested in general photoshoots.

This week I encountered a similar situation. This time I'm looking for someone with a career who'd be willing to let me take a picture of them on location at their work area. My original idea was a painter/artist at her studio but just like the lawyer I asked aswell, I was canceled on. I was turned down at the spa and the paramedics I asked had a schedule that didn't sync well with my classes at all. I hunted down firemen in our school and even asked the librarian. Currently I'm waiting for permission to shoot a student in radio at the Humber radio station and tomorrow I plan on dropping by the gym to find a gym trainer. All this model hunting has got me exhausted. I've never had so much difficulty finding not only a model but a model with a location and the time for someone they just met. My assignment is due Monday and I'm worried this might be the first time I don't get an assignment handed in on time.

The important thing is that I don't give up and I keep on searching, keep emailing, posting ads and asking strangers in the hall. The one thing I did learn last year is that sometimes the most unexpected things happen and the best photos will be the ones that you never had planned.